Truth is, there is no one-size-fits-all number of channels a multi channel amplifier home theatre should manage as every installation is different and has its own needs.
A home theater amplifier (also known as an audio-visual receiver or simply an AVR) is a powerful piece of kit that combines amplifiers and digital signal processors to convert output from a range of source devices into high quality sound and video. In short, it is the hub of a home theater set up.
Multi-channel amplifiers are the perfect way to expand any audio system to more areas of the home, or to provide extra power in larger rooms or outdoor areas.
Unlike a monoblock amplifier, which as the name implies is a single unit (“block”) responsible for amplifying a single channel (“mono”). That is to say that the components of a monoblock amplifier amplifies a single channel rather than being shared between multiple channels. Monoblocks, therefore, are usually larger, heavier and more expensive (per channel).
Meanwhile a multiple channel amplifier can drive power to more than one speaker and because they can power more than one speaker, multiple channel amplifiers are ideal for upgrading to component speakers, or replacing factory coaxial speakers and adding a subwoofer to your audio system.
What Mult Channel Amplifier Home Theatre Does
The job of a multi-channel amplifier, like all amplifiers, is to provide clean, reliable power to speakers and other passive components. Multi-zone amplifiers, however, include discrete power sources or “channels” with separate input and output connectors.
These channels allow you to distribute power to multiple places and adjust volume and control settings from one centralized location.
They are ideal for whole house audio and home theatre systems, and they typically start at 5 channels and can go as high as 12 channels.
Power output varies but decreases as channels increase. For example, a 5-channel multichannel amplifier is a great choice for 5.1 surround sound systems because it delivers power to left, right, center, and rear surrounds, so you’ll experience action thrillers with sound quality that rivals commercial movie theaters.
While, a 12-channel multi-channel audio amplifier is a popular choice for whole house audio systems and can control up to six zones or 12 speakers for superior sound playing room to room.
For commercial environments, 70V multi-channel amplifiers can provide power to 12 zones or 24 speakers mono (70V) or six stereo zones (8/4 ohm) and are a great choice for retail stores, malls, restaurants, museums, and outdoor sound systems.
Some Superb Multi Channel Amplifier Home Theatre you Should Buy
Choosing the right amplifier depends on your audio needs and sometimes with a lot of options out there, you might get lost in choosing the right one which is why we are here to because we are compiling some of the best ones that you can confidently choose from.
Just be sure to take a look at their strengths and weaknesses, so you can adequately determine the amplifier that will meet your exact needs.
1. 5-Channel Home Audio Power Amplifier – Pyle PT610
This sound amplifying device features protection indicator where LED is illuminated when a thermal overload is present, and a clip circuit indicator which protects the amplifier system from being damaged by overdriving power levels.
The professional integrated indoor outdoor stereo receiver allows you to connect one or more 4-16 ohm speakers to the amp w/ or w/o transformers. You want to be sure that all connected speakers have the same impedance rating of;
- 600 Watt Power
- 8 Inputs
- Speaker Terminals
- Useful Indicators
- Bypass/EQ Switch
Features and Details
- 600 Watt Power : The Pyle 5 Channel Power Amplifier Mixer is perfect for your commercial entertainment system. It gives you 600W peak power to be used for multi speakers w/ 4-16 ohms impedance allowing you to enjoy high quality audio.
- 8 Inputs: This personal portable digital amp box supports headphone, 3.5mm jack for iPod, MP3, PC, laptop, iPhone, tape deck, tuner, AUX, CD player. It also features 4 microphone inputs XLR 1/4” combo jack for karaoke or talkover.
- Useful Indicators: The sound amplifying device features protection indicator where LED is illuminated when a thermal overload is present, and a clip circuit indicator which protects the amplifier system from being damaged by overdriving power levels
- Bypass/EQ Switch: The compact and rack mountable amplifier features a bypass and EQ switch. You just have to set the switch to EQ position to connect an equalizer then set to bypass position to remove the effect of the equalizer on your system’s sound(it’s that straightforward).
- Included Components: 1 Pyle-Home Branded Product
2. OSD Audio 8 Zone, 16-Channel Digital Amplifier, 80W/ Channel, Distributed Audio & Home Theater – MX1680
The MX1680 is a powerful 8-zone 16-channel digital amplifier for commercial and residential audio systems that require reliable power in multiple channels.
The MX1680 includes 16 channels, and can be configured as the main amplifier for an audio distribution system such as for background music, paging, and multi-zone audio or as an amplifier for 5.1 or 7.2 home theater surround sound systems.
With this multichannel amplifier, you are guaranteed to;
- Experience a true Home Theater Sound.
- Eliminate the complexity of wiring up multiple two-channel amplifiers.
- Perfect for commercial and residential audio systems.
Features and Details
- High Performance Amplifier: The MX1680 can be nicknamed the ”small but mighty” amplifier because it is slim yet robust multi-channel amplifier that supplies reliable power to about eight zones.
- Residential/Commercial: This amplifier can be configured as the main amplifier for an audio distribution system or as an amplifier for 5.1 or 7.2 home theater systems, thereby serving both residential and commercial spaces.
- Audio-phile level: It delivers high-resolution music playback with 80 Watts per channel (1KHz into 4 Ohms), 50W Watts per channel (1KHz into 8 Ohms)
- CLASS D Technology: The MX1680 uses highly efficient Class D digital circuitry. Class D amplifiers use output transistors that are fully turned on or off during operation, which keeps distortion low and efficiency is high (93%). Class D amps also combine the best qualities of both class A and B technologies and are ideal for distributed audio and home theater setups because these amps run cooler than traditional amps and can easily run multiple pairs of speakers at a 4-ohm or 8-ohm load. So the MX1680 uses Class D amplifier technology for low distortion, higher efficiency and special protection circuitry safeguards from thermal overload and short circuits
- Slim Design: Includes front-panel status indicators and slim form factor that is 2U rack mountable software included(2U rack is simply the measurement of the rack space suitable for the MX1680).
- Detachable AC Power Cord: The OSD Audio MX1680 comes with a 6′ detachable IEC 3-prong AC power cord that will plug into the back of the amplifier and into a power outlet or surge protector ( that is your home theatre power manager).
- Mounting Options: The MX1680 amplifier can be mounted on a shelf or other flat tabletop surface. It can also be mounted in an equipment rack using the included hardware. The MX1680 takes up 2U rack spaces.
What Comes in the Box of your MX1680: These are what you should expect when you unbox your amplifier;
- 16-Channel amplifier
- 6′ AC power cord
- 2 Rack-brackets (pre-installed)
- Owner’s Manual
3.Pyle PWMA4004BT Bluetooth Multi Channel Hybrid Pre-Amplifier System
The Pyle Multi-Channel Pre-Amplifier gives you a peak power of 3000W that you can use for multiple speakers with 2-8 Ohms impedance. This type of set-up is perfect for your karaoke and your home theatre system. It also has numerous input interfaces for more ways of enjoying this amplifier.
The amplifier has a 300W peak power with 4 channels to bring life to your home entertainment system. It also has a universal rack mount design and a built-in fan for cooling, and integrated short circuitry protection. The front panel control gives it a sleek look. It also includes two wireless microphones for karaoke with friends!
This amplifier also boasts its multiple interfaces, including a
- USB slot
- SD Card readers
- 3.5mm AUX input
- two ¼” mic inputs
- a headphone jack
- RCA L/R audio input, and output jacks dedicated for subwoofers.
- It also supports radio playback, MP3 playback, and other external devices. Lastly, the Bluetooth can connect to any compatible device, like smartphones, tablets, laptops, and computers.
- Great sound quality
- Multiple inputs, including wireless input
- Perfect for home entertainment
- Comes with additional accessories (2 microphones).
- Sub-par remote control
- Bad radio reception: The radio reception that this unit provides is not stable at times. You can hear the scrunchy sound at times.
4.Pyle PT8000CH – 4 Multi-Zone Stereo Amplifier WiFi MP4 Player with Bluetooth, AGPTEK 5 inch Touch Screen
The Pyle PT8000CH is a multi-zone audio source amplifier system with an 8-channel, highly powered for an audio experience in multiple zones.
It is also bridgeable to create 4-channel with high powered outputs. It has low impedance protection to protect the other speaker units and shuts off faulty channels so as not to disrupt the audio.
Being one of the best mp4 players with a camera, the WiFi MP4 Player with Bluetooth, AGPTEK 5 inch Touch Screen is sure to get your audiophilic juice running as this mp4 player packs different kinds of impressive features that has become a rarity with mp4 players.
It has an individual speaker volume control to simultaneously manipulate each speaker’s volume, allowing you to control how each zone sounds.
Being that the WiFi MP4 Player with Bluetooth, AGPTEK 5 inch Touch Screen is a versatile mp4 player connected via Bluetooth or WiFi, this means you can easily have a good time when they are connected to your Bluetooth speakers.
More so, its 5-inch HD full-touchscreen is marvelous to watch as it provides some of the best colors you can ask for.
- The amplifier creates a good quality audio output with crisp playback making it one of the best multi channel power amplifier.
- It also allows multiple zones and multiple audio sources.
- The bridging capability is too good to support high powered output devices.
- Has a colored LED Display for volume level
- It is actually easy to Install
- The independent volume control also allows the user to adjust the sound per speaker. By far, this product is awe-inspiring. It is like your modern-day MP4 player who adapts to various technologies today. From Bluetooth connection to WiFi features, this product is quite impressive. And to cap off, its 5.0-inch touchscreen is excellent and will leave you buying for more. By far, one of the best mp4 player device on this list.
- The master button turns everything on and off.
- It limits the options of just turning off some channels.
- Pyle also reportedly has terrible customer service, and some reports said that they haven’t replied to some requests yet.
- As great as this product can be, they have to compromise on one thing which is the price. It is quite expensive, and its price is almost comparable to high-end products that has different features. That notwithstanding though, if you are after the functionality and features, then you can always go for it.
Things to Consider Before Choosing a Multi Channel Amplifier Home Theatre
Before you settle and actually buy a particular amplifier, these are the things you might want to consider.
- Identify what you’re hooking the receiver up to. This is the most important thing to consider. Are you connecting your receiver to stereo speakers? Or a TV? If your new receiver is for music only, you want a stereo receiver. If it’s for surround sound in a home theater system, then you want to have an AV receiver alongside. Especially if it’s for both music and home theater, the AV receiver gets it done.
- Get enough channels for now and the future. One channel = one speaker. Make sure your new amplifier has enough channels for all the speakers you have now, plus those you may want to get in the future. If you want surround sound, you’ll need at least five channels.
- Think about everything and anything you’ll be connecting to. Consider every single source you’ll want to connect to, now and down the road.
Amplifiers are one of the main components needed in a home entertainment system. Although, the speaker quality may affect the overall performance, but nothing would perfectly work without a solid amplifier which is why they are a necessary investment.